Brooke Cleary McDermott is an attorney specializing in complex estate and trust planning, estate and trust administration matters, and estate and gift tax controversy matters.
She works with individuals and families to achieve their financial, family, and charitable goals by guiding them step-by-step through the estate planning process, using a variety of wealth planning strategies aimed at accomplishing both tax and family-generational planning. Brooke also advises individuals, families, beneficiaries, trustees and executors with regard to probate, estate and trust administration matters, including preparation of estate tax returns, IRS audits and allocation and distribution of bequests to beneficiaries.
With a determination to upgrade her specialized knowledge in estate and tax planning, Brooke completed her LLM (Master of Laws) in Estate Planning at the University of Miami School of Law in Coral Gables, Florida. Brooke is currently licensed to practice law in both California and Florida. Brooke joined Ambrecht & McDermott in 2008.
- U.S. Tax Court (2011)
- California (2010)
- Florida (2007)
- LLM (Master of Laws) in Estate Planning, University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, FL (2008)
- JD, Suffolk University Law School, Boston, MA (2007)
- BA summa cum laude, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT (2003)
- Commencement Speaker
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association
- Chair, Probate Section (2012 - Current)
LECTURE / SEMINAR PRESENTATIONS
"Recent Changes to IRC Regulations and their Impact on Estate Planning" - 2017 Bench and Bar Conference (January 21, 2017)
"Giving the Next Generation the Business (!): A Parents' Dilemma and An Advisor's Challenge" sponsored by New York Life Insurance Company, held at Oxnard, California (April 5, 2013)
"IDGTs (Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts): How Could Something So Wrong Be So Right?" sponsored by the Santa Barbara Estate Planning Council, held at Santa Barbara, California
(November 22, 2011).
- "Protect Your Pets - How to Successfully Include Animals in Your Will or Trust" by Brooke Cleary McDermott. Santa Barbara Independent. Tuesday, January 28, 2014