COMPLEX ESTATE PLANNING AND TRUST & ESTATE ADMINISTRATION
You've built a legacy for your family over your lifetime and our role is to help you preserve that legacy for your spouse, for your children, and for future generations. We will work with you to build an estate plan that achieves your goals. After your death we work with your family, advisors, and trustees to make sure your goals are realized.
A solid estate plan is one which addresses your needs and goals during your life, in the event of your incapacity, and for your estate after your death. To that end, our office will work with you to prepare your Will, Revocable Living Trust, Advanced Health Care Directive, Power of Attorney, and other trust or business documents for your particular needs.
- Will: Your Will applies at your death and distributes assets not previously transferred to your revocable living trust or assets held in your individual name to your revocable living trust. If you have minor children, then you can appoint a guardian for them in your Will.
- Revocable Living Trust: Your revocable living trust manages during your lifetime, and distributes after your death, the assets that you have placed in trust. Planning for the interests of successive generations and for the particular needs of your family can all be accomplished in your revocable living trust. In addition, your revocable living trust can also be customized for the particular needs of your family to take advantage of tax planning for estate tax and generation-skipping transfer taxes, to grant creditor protection to your beneficiaries and to provide management of your family's assets.
- Advanced Health Care Directive: Your advanced health care directive lets your physician, family & friends know your health care preferences, including the types of special treatment you want or don't want at the end of life, your desire for diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and organ donation. It appoints someone chosen by you to make medical decisions for you any time that you are unable to make such decisions.
- Power of Attorney: Your power of attorney applies during your life, and enables your named agent to manage for you, assets held in your individual name and which have not been previously transferred to your revocable living trust. Your power of attorney can be designed to be effective either immediately or at such time as you become incapacitated.
In addition to the above foundational estate planning documents, our office excels at the preparation and strategizing of more complex techniques that can be used in your estate plan in order to achieve your family, business, tax and estate planning goals. These techniques include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Family LLCs and Limited Partnerships
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- Dynasty (Generation-Skipping) Trusts
- Incentive Trusts
- Educational Trusts
- Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts
- Private Annuities
- Self-Canceling Installment Notes
- Lifetime "QTIP" Trusts
- Directed Trusts
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts
- Offshore Asset Protection Trusts
Our mission is to create an estate plan that is uniquely tailored to you and your family's needs. With that mission in mind, we take a holistic approach to creating the "right" estate plan for you and your family. We create and develop estate plans that address the distribution wishes you have for your beneficiaries, your tax planning goals, as well as the goals you have for your family and beneficiaries. Our planning addresses all aspects of taxation including gift, estate, generation-skipping transfer taxes; income, capital gain and fiduciary taxes; partnership, corporate and franchise taxes; reporting and disclosure requirements for foreign assets, non-U.S. residents, or for non-U.S. citizens; multi-state tax issues; and California property tax planning. When appropriate, we will also work with you to integrate family dynamics into your tax and estate planning in order to facilitate a harmonious succession plan.